1. Hubby was driving near Honolulu Hale (House of Honolulu - City Hall) yesterday morning. Traffic was jammed as Hawaii Five O wrapped up filming in the area. He spotted Grace Park ....
2. Last night, we took the Holo Holo Trolley from Pearl Harbor to tour the Honolulu Hale City Lights. Each year, corporates sponsors erect holiday themed sets outside the building. Inside, each city department sponsors a themed Christmas tree. My favorite tree was the "Slipper" tree from the Administration Department. Slippers in Hawaii are flip flops so the tree was covered in designer beach wear. My favorite theme was a giant stuffed Abominable Snowman from Customer Service ... at least they have a sense of humor!
|Mr. and Mrs. Claus vacation in Hawaii|
Enroute to the City Lights, we spotted a kilted man carrying a bag pipe. We also noticed a lighted "pumpkin" carriage ala Cinderella. So there is holiday magic in the air ....
3. As we drove back to our house near the Hickam Flightline, we could see the helicopters making their final search before President Obama's arrival. Air Force One touched down just before midnight (I was parked on the couch, watching the last minute of Burn Notice). His arrival was subdued with little fanfare, setting the tone that he was here for a private vacation with no public events. President Obama was whisked away to his beach rental in Kailua to join his family for R&R ....
4. Today we are taking the Navy's Remembrance Tour. It begins at the CINCPACFLT's boathouse with a short video about December 7, 1941. We will board a "barge" (with seats and cover) to cruise around Ford Island, taking in the sights of
- USS Utah laying on her side
- Hospital Point where the damaged USS Nevada "beached" itself to prevent blocking the channel
- USS Missouri standing guard over the USS Arizona Memorial.
We'll disembark at the USS Arizona Memorial - something that never ceases to take my breath away.
5. Tomorrow, it's gift wrapping outside the Hickam Exchange - a fundraiser for the Cub Scouts (the parents wrap the gifts, the scouts collect the donations).
So what are you doing to prepare for the holidays? One randomly selected commenter will win a 2011 Hawaii Calendar. This giveaway is open to US residents. Comments for the giveaway are open through December 26.
Kim in Hawaii
Breaking News - Hawaii Five O's Daniel Dae Kim is selling his local home. From Hawaii News Now
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Actor Daniel Dae Kim is selling his Kahala home for $2.4 million, according to Rob Burns, a realtor associate with East Oahu Realty. Kim, 42, is one of the stars of CBS's "Hawaii Five-0." He bought the home in 2005 with his wife Mia. The Aukai Avenue home has five-bedrooms, two and a half baths and is located on a quiet dead end street. The house was built in 1948 and has 3,354-square-feet of living area, 13,500-square-feet of land and a pool. Kim recently sold his interest in The Counter, an upscale hamburger restaurant in Kahala Mall.
Perhaps a holiday gift for your loved one?
According to the Honolulu Star Advertiser, Rob Burns noted, "He said 'now that the show is doing well, I might was well get the house I really want.'"
What do you really want for holiday?