The SOS Aloha schedule indicates that Regency author Donna Hatch is our guest today. But due to my error, she is not. I look forward to welcoming Donna back in the near future.
If you came to SOS Aloha in search of Donna, I offer you a consolation - I will send you some Hawaiian tea. Because the Brits have a cup of tea to resolve anything (I know because my mother is a Brit). To claim your tea, send your mailing address to email@example.com
To cover for my error, let's giveaway some bling and books! Yesterday the NFL hosted its Play60 Mini Camp for military children on Pearl Harbor.
These are my children in Bucs and Bengals jerseys. Play60 is a program to motivate young fans to "get moving" for 60 minutes each day. Boys and girls could sign up for football or cheer leading (I spotted at least five girls playing football). Parents were instructed to sit on the bleachers as the children went through drills. Six NFL players were coaching the children, including Marc Mariani, No. 83 from the Tennessee Titans, and Brandon Meriweather, No. 31 from the New England Patriots.
Marc Mariani hands off to older son.
Two mascots entertained the parents - the Carolina Panther's Sir Purr and the Denver Bronco's Miles. I asked Sir Purr if he had a chance to visit Waikiki Beach yet. This was his non verbal response (posing on the beach) so I take that as a "Yes."
An announcer also brought a microphone to the bleacher and asked for volunteers. I was the first to share who was my favorite all time NFL player - I replied "Bob Griese" (I grew up in Miami with the Dolphins during their "perfect" season). I should have replied "Roger Staubach" in honor of his Heisman Trophy from the Naval Academy (since the event was hosted on a navy base).
NFL coach guides younger son.
The NFL gave away logo water bottles, which I pass along to five randomly selected commenters. I will stuff them with Hawaiian treats, such as shell leis, more Hawaiian tea, etc.
To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about your favorite NFL player of all time.
2. The giveaway is open only to US residents but ...
... I welcome comments from all readers - whether or not you are entering the contest.
3. Comments are open through Sunday, January 30, 10 pm in Hawaii to enter the giveaway.
4. If you are an international reader, I am happy to share Aloha with you - send your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a Hawaiian treat.
Meanwhile, I have more books to giveaway! Actually, I am looking for readers to write a review for:
- Catherine Coulter's THE VALCOURT HEIRESS. The book was released in the fall but Catherine Coulter is attending the RT Booklovers' Convention in April. I'd like to post a review before the convention.
- Maya Bank's HIDDEN AWAY. The book is scheduled to be released on March 1, 2011. I'd like to post a review before its release date.
Both authors' publicists sent me these ARCs for me to review. In the case of Catherine Coulter, the book arrived just as my parents became ill and it moved down the priority list. For Maya Banks, I read too slow to write a review before the book is released.
So here is your unique opportunity to be a reviewer of a hot book! To be considered as a reviewer for either (or both) books,
1. Send an email to email@example.com, identifying which book (including both) you would like to review. Please include your mailing address.
2. If you have posted a book review on Amazon, blog, etc, please let me know the details (although it is not necessary to be considered).
3. Emails will be accepted through Sunday, January 30, 10 pm in Hawaii for consideration. I will send by Priority Mail on Monday morning to expedite the process.
4. I will negotiate the final deadline with the selected reviewers.
Join us tomorrow as we welcome PI-turned-crime author CiCi McNair to celebrate the release of her second non fiction book, NEVER FLIRT WITH A FEMME FATALE. This is an interview you don't want to miss!
Kim in Hawaii
More pictures from NFL Play 60:
I'll post pictures from the Pro Bowl on Monday!