Hawaii is a natural choice to celebrate all things Irish - think of Hawaii as Ireland of the Pacific:
- Hawaii and Ireland are islands.
- Hawaii and Ireland are green from rainstorms coming off the Pacific and Atlantic, respectively.
- Hawaii and Ireland have been influenced by British exploration, politics, and religion.
- Hawaii and Ireland are famous for their dances in skirts.
- Both mythologies feature "dwarfs" - leprechauns in Ireland and menehune in Hawaii.
- The rainbow may lead to a golden treasure in Ireland, but it leads to golden sands in Hawaii.
- Many Irish immigrants contributed to Hawaii's economy as an independent kingdom, new republic, US territory and finally a US state. Today, an Irish cop keeps Hawaii safe - McGarrett! He is portrayed by O'Loughlin - you can't get any more "Gaelic" than that!
In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about St. Patrick's Day - do you celebrate it? Eat green goodies? Dance a jig?
2. This giveaway is open to all readers.
3. Comments are open through Saturday, March 24, 10 pm in Hawaii. I'll post the winner on Saturday, March 25.
Kim in Hawaii
|How about a green tea coco puff?|
March Madness continues here at SOS Aloha! All commenters in March will be entered into a special drawing for prizes from RT in Chicago. 3 US, 3 Canadian, and 3 international readers will win a package with books and goodies. Comments can be made at:
- SOS Aloha, sosaloha.blogspot.com
- Aloha On My Mind, alohaonmymind.blogspot.com
- My guest posts at the Reading Reviewer (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday) at marygramlich.blogspot.com
I'll post the winners of March Madness on Monday, April 2.